Saturday, May 3, 2008

What is a friend?

It's a funny thing about friendship, you know, I have some friends that I have had for more than 30 years, that I may not see in years at a time, but when we meet up again it is like we never parted. Other people I would consider a friend and they are distant. My definition of a true friend is someone who loves you, warts and all. They don't change their mind because you make a choice different from theirs, they don't change their mind because you take a different path in life, they don't change their mind because you make a mistake, or you totally blow it, they just love you through it all. That does not mean they condone your wrong doing, or they agree with all your choices, it just means they love you in spite of it all. Our divine example is the love of Christ, we have nothing good in ourselves, we are self centered, selfish, egotistical people, but He chooses to love us no matter what, if we are His friend. Peter was hot tempered and quick to act, Jesus had to clean up after him on occasion when he made a mistake, but Jesus still loved him, Thomas who doubted Jesus and Jesus was just patient with him, and still loved him. Few disciples remained close to Jesus through His trial and crucifixtion, because they were afraid for their lives, but He continued to love them all (except Judas who was not his true friend, but only looking for personal gain). Jesus just loved them, warts and all, different personalities, but He loved them. That's a true friend. I pray in my life my friends will say I was a true friend, and I thank God for my true friends, some of them are my family members, isn't that nice! I hope today as you read this you are encouraged to be a good friend - call a friend today , let them know you are thinking of them and appreciate their friendship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A true friendship is endless - because neither distance, time, nor circumstance can sever it. The opposite could be concluded - those who no longer behave as friends because of distance, time, or circumstance - we're never true friends to begin with. It's funny how distance, time, and circumstance reveal who our true friends are.

I'm glad that you are not only my mom - you are also one of my best friends.

Lots of love as always,

Dan

Nannette said...

Thanks Dan - love you - Mom

Toni said...

Well said Dr. Dan....

Thanks for being my sister and my friend...

Love Toni

Ps thanks for the birds