Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Underground railroad quilt blocks

Remember the new book I showed you last week? It is the pattern for the Undergroud Railroad quilt - which is so cool - because it tells a story, they hung quilts out to tell messages to the slaves, to let them know what to do next. I have all the blocks cut out and have 4 put together as you can see. I will tell you more about the story when I put it together. I went to Hancock fabrics on Saturday and bought the fabric for the rails and borders, it was $7.99 a yard, but when I got to the check out they said it was 60% off, how cool is that!! Well, I probably will not have time to sew for about a month, the twins and their parents will be here on Thursday night - so the fun begins - yeaaah! Hope you are having a good week - mine is about to get better!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how cool is that.

Anonymous said...

Those squares are beautiful Aunt Nan! You do beautiful work! Take Care, Teri

Toni said...

Have you read the quilting book by Jennifer Chevirini (SP) there is one that is about the blocks used when the slaves where traveling to Canada...she is a writer from WI or Minn...It seems these types of quilts never go out of style...Hope you have fun with the kids..Toni