Monday, January 5, 2009

New year - new job!

Well, after 20 years in healthcare, 17 years at our local hospital, I have made a move! The Administrative Assistant (secretary) at the church we are attending decided to retire after 31.5 years (wow!). I was approached to see if I would be interested in applying, I was kind of in shock, what - no - I worked at the hospital, not the church. I started praying about it, what does God have to say? I weighed all the pros and cons: 17 years seniority, good pay, 4 weeks vacation, not to mention I was working part time - 2 or 3 10 hour days a week. The pros - ....... Well there are a million pros, but not weighed out against the worldly list I have of cons. God reminded me that I had been asked to work at every workplace I had been at in the last 25 years. 25 years ago, the pastor at the church we were attending asked me to come and work in the church office to replace a retiring secretary. I later moved to work in the school office within that church and was there 5 years. When I decided to leave that position, my good friend Dr Fox, a surgeon, asked me to come work for him - as a surgical assistant, a job he would teach me to do. I worked for him for 3 years and quit because of some things going on at home. Several months later I received a phone call from the manager in the surgery department to ask me if I would be interested in working for them. That was 17 years ago. I moved to 2 different positions in that time, finally arriving at my part time position. Then out of the blue - an invitation... God has something new in store for me. So here I go, my first day of the new job - I'll let you know how it goes, I am looking forward to the blessings in store!

5 comments:

Toni said...

Hope you like your new move...How many hours a week...and how much vacation??? I am sure you will love it....Love ya Toni

Nannette said...

I am 35 hours a week, but they are very flexible. Just 1 week of vacation this year, 2 next year. They also shut down the week between christmas and new years, plus additional days around holidays. I am also staying on as a per diem employee at the hospital, to fill when I can if needed - so that holds all my years of service and seniority in place. So far so good.

Toni said...

Sounds good....Love ya Toni

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I am sure your church is very greatful to have you! I hope you enjoy this new job!

Anonymous said...

Neat blog site. I found it while trying to find a paper pieced pattern for a rooster.

Did you design your own pattern, or did you get it from somewhere else? I am trying to make a rooster wall hanging and want to paper piece it. Any help sure would be appreciated. Send info to
pollyangel@comcast.net

Thanks so much and I will be back...to check out what you are up to...Good Luck with your new job.